That being said, I do hope that each and every one of you has a SAFE and wonderful evening and that your new year is full of glorious things. But rather than wish for you the typical generic things (health, wealth, happiness, blah, blah, blah), I hope that your 2013 is filled to the brim with the following:
- The occasional lazy Sunday morning spent lounging in bed, only eventually getting up to eat pancakes or waffles drenched in maple syrup
- The ability to find a working pen in that moment when you need one
- Dry socks and shoes even when it's raining or snowing and you walk through a ginormous puddle (because if you're anything like me, ginormous puddles leap into your path and are unavoidable)
- Friends who will eat large amounts of unhealthy chinese food with you when you are sad
- Friends who curse the name of the person or event that made you sad in the first place (EDITOR'S NOTE: Evidently this worried a few people. This was a general statement of things my friends have done for me in the past, not a current thing. No need to break out the chopsticks or curse anyone's name in the current moment. I am currently a very, very happy girl.)
- A perfect night of sleep on freshly laundered sheets and pillowcases that still smell like detergent and fabric softeners.
- That when you turn on the TV to a repeat of your favorite old television show (Friends maybe? Or perhaps Full House?), it's one of your absolute favorite episodes.
- Laughter so intense that you can't breathe or you get tears in your eyes. It doesn't matter if you can't remember what was so funny when you think about it a few days later. It matters that you remember that feeling of pure joy and that you seek it out on a daily basis.
- Mail that is not bills, catalogs or junk
- That on one of these snowy days, you walk out to your car to find that someone mysteriously cleared the snow/ice off for you. I hope you pass along the good deed to someone else too.
- Family members who know all of the silly and ridiculous things you've done and still love you anyways (or maybe even more so b/c of those things).
- The feeling of accomplishment when you reach your goal
- A year without a single paper cut
- Kisses and cuddles from a furry friend
- The perfect reply when someone says something infuriating to you
- Flowers given to you for no reason. And if you're a guy, instead of flowers, maybe tools or video games or something. And if you're a girl and you'd rather have tools, then that's great too.
- Cupcakes with a lot of frosting on them... but not that crappy whipped cream frosting.
- So much love and happiness in your life that you wake up on a daily basis and think about how lucky you are to be you.
Thank you all for filling my 2012 with good things. The best I could ever hope to do is to return the favor to you in 2013.
Peas and Love Firecrackers!