Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Shut Up and Just Do It

Just wanted to pop in and write a quick post about what I learned in the gym today.

Today's Lesson:  Shut up and just do it.

Let me explain.  Today's workout consisted of a quarter mile run, 21 V-Sits w/ kettlebell, half mile run, 21 knees to elbows, quarter mile run, 21 ball slams and then repeating the cycle as many times as possible.  No problem, right?  Except that I hate V-Sits and have always hated V-Sits.  I've never been comfortable with them and have struggled with them.  If I'm being honest though, I stopped making myself do them because they were so darn frustrating to me which is clearly a problem.  Anyways, so the wonderful and brilliant Marlo (trainer) tells me I have to do 21 of these today and I stare at her like she has 3 heads and then promptly say "I can't do V-Sits."  Ugh!  It pains me to type that.  I can not believe I said I couldn't do something.  Can't is no longer supposed to be in my vocabulary.  So she said, "Yes you can.  I promise you can."  So I tried a couple times and yes, it was hard, but I was kind of doing them.  But then, like a dumbass, I stopped and again, looked at her like she was nuts and said it was not physically possible for me to do them.  I give her credit at this point for not strangling me b/c people saying they can't do something is one of my biggest pet peeves.  Understand that part of my struggle with this is that I am a bit of a perfectionist in the gym and I absolutely HATE feeling like I am struggling with something.  Usually I tell myself that the only way to get better is to keep doing it and I truly believe that.  But I have some kind of mental block with these ridiculous V-Sits.  So Marlo told me to keep going and that I obviously can do it b/c I just did some and that it will get easier each time.  So I set myself in position, pick up the kettlebell and start doing them, all the while telling her that I couldn't.  While I'm doing them.  Did you get that?  Yes, I was doing V-Sits while telling her that I clearly was never going to be able to do them.  I'm ridiculous.  By the end of the 21 (in a row w/o stopping or breaking position), I realized that I just did them and felt so foolish for saying I couldn't do it.  We had a good laugh at the end of the workout about it.

Anyways, moral of the story... Shut up and just do it.

Peas and Love, Muscle Men and Women!
Erica

***Editor's Note***  In my defense, I should mention that every single muscle in my body is sore from the 3 workouts I did yesterday.  I like to think that contributed to my thought process of feeling like I couldn't do something.  It was almost hard enough just to swing my legs off of my bed this morning when I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment