Monday, January 30, 2012

Celebrating Success Not Wallowing in "Failure"

So I've hit this plateau with my weight loss and I am BEYOND frustrated.  Ever since the holidays, despite keeping a pretty close eye on what I've been eating and keeping up with my workouts, I can not seem to get the scale to move in the right direction.  In the past couple weeks, I have developed an unhealthy relationship with the aforementioned scale.  I've let it dictate to me how I should feel about my progress.  I feel like it's telling me that I am failing.  Well here's the thing, I am not going to let any person or any thing tell me that.  I call bull shit on you, Scale.

It is undeniable that I have not lost any pounds in the past month.  I won't argue that fact.  But why is that the only thing I am measuring my success on right now?  I would never, ever, ever tell someone else to do that!  Why have I been letting myself do that?

Here's how I know that I have not failed at my healthy lifestyle these past few weeks, despite what the scale might tell me.  I can do push-ups now.  I couldn't even attempt them 2 months ago without my arms collapsing beneath me.  I did 100 of them today.  That's success.  I am a runner.  I can do a 5k in less than 25 minutes, no walking.  Less than a year ago, it took me 42 minutes and lots of breaks to do it.  That's success.  I can hear and feel my body telling me what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.  That's success.  These things are huge.  These things should not be taken for granted and should be celebrated the same way a 5lb weight loss would be.  So I will celebrate it and appreciate it.

I'm not saying that losing the rest of this weight isn't important, because it is.  But the scale is not everything.  I'm not a failure because one number didn't change.  I'm a winner because so many other things ARE changing.

Booyah Scale!  In your face!  We are breaking up for the next two weeks.  I'd say "It's not you, it's me" but no, it's definitely you.

Peas and Love my little Peppers!  (I'm feeling spicy b/c there is cayenne in my water)

Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment