Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Balancing Act

If you are not using or have never used a BOSU balance thingamajig, stop what you are doing and get yourself to the nearest one immediately.  Actually, continue reading till the end of this blog entry and then go.

When I first started working out, I really didn't understand the importance of balance and stability.  I had what felt like terrible balance but I didn't understand why being able to stand on one leg without tipping over was necessary to improve overall fitness.  But I stand today (on one leg) a believer in the importance of balance.  It really does impact the quality of the other things you do, like squats, lunges, etc.  The first time I worked on this, a light breeze could have tipped me over.  True statement.  And this wasn't even on the BOSU, just my foot flat on the floor.  Tonight, I balanced on one leg on the BOSU (round side facing down) in a couple different poses.  I referred to myself as a balancing Jedi.  I'm not really sure what a "jedi" is cause I've never seen Star Wars so that is probably an incorrect use of the word.  I know, I know, Star Wars is a classic and I should totally watch at least one of those movies.  Add it to the list of classics to watch, right after Forest Gump.  Yes, it's true, I've never seen Forest Gump.  I'm pretty sure I may be kidnapped in the near future and forced to watch that one though.

Anyways, back to the BOSU.  Here's the thing... it's really kind of fun!  I'm not really sure what it is about it, but it's just plain enjoyable.  The first time I stood on it a couple months ago, a lady walking past me compared it to surfing.  I have never been surfing but I will take her word for it.  And once I completely master the BOSU, I'm going to fly out to California or Hawaii and I will probably be like a total surf pro... or a surf betty as they say.  They probably don't really say that anymore though.  I got that term off of an episode of Beverly Hills 90210 from the the '90s.  But I can bring it back I think.  Also, maybe while I'm there (in California during the '90s), perhaps I can meet Brandon Walsh and we will fall madly in love?  or at least lust?

Bottom Line:  Use a BOSU.  It is awesome.

Second lesson learned tonight:  Do not make bets with trainers.  You will lose and have to do 20 push-up type things.

No comments:

Post a Comment