Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Vote! Please.

Geez Louise, I am cranking out the blog posts this week.  This is what happens when I am bored at work.  Typically, I aim to entertain with this blog.  Occasionally, I post about something personal and even more occasionally, I post something informative or educational.  Tonight's post leans less towards the funny and more towards the serious so I won't blame you if you stop reading right now.  If you are looking for something entertaining, I hear there are a lot of "cats doing funny things" videos on YouTube.  I wouldn't know though.  I have never wasted time watching videos like that for hours.

Tonight, I want to write about politics.  Don't worry though... I'm not going to go on a one-sided political rant.  I'm not going to tell you who I'm voting for and why he/she should be your candidate of choice as well.  I'm not going to tell you what issues I care about and why you should care about them too.  I'm simply going to tell you to vote for someone and to care about something.

At the risk of sounding like I'm running for office myself, voting is a privilege and a responsibility.  When you turn 18, you are given the opportunity to affect change in the world.  Why in the world would you not want to take advantage of that?  You may not think your vote is important but you're wrong.  Your vote is your voice so speak up people.

Figure out which issues are important to you.  Do you get hot and bothered about healthcare?  Is equality your bag?  Do you lay awake at night thinking about our country's deficit?  Are you passionate about education?  Make politics interesting for you by focusing on topics that get you all riled up.  Think critically and think for yourself.  Be open-minded and do your research.  It's cool to be intelligent and informed nowadays.

I wish that I could find the right words to inspire all of you to take advantage of your opportunity to make this country better... to make the lives of your loved ones better. It's a privilege that people have died for.

Plus, you get that sticker that says "I Voted".

Peas and Love Fellow Voters,

Erica

P.S.  Here's a video of cats doing something funny.  It's your reward for reading this whole thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment