Saturday, May 28, 2011

Confidence is B.A.

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls,

Let's talk about confidence.  First, let me explain the catalyst for this post.  So last night, I was going out with some friends and I felt like I wanted to look bad-ass so I decided to wear a new little dress I just bought.  As I've mentioned before, I haven't done much shopping in the past 4-5 months but when I do, I get super-excited because it's fun shopping for things I wouldn't have worn before.  Anyway, I put on the dress and I look in the mirror and I think to myself that I look damn good.  Totally B.A.  I won't lie, I did a little turn in the mirror, posed in different angles.  I may have even winked at myself.  I'm kidding, I didn't wink at myself, but only because I didn't think of that till now.  As I write this, I realize that this might sound conceited, but bear with me while I get to the point.  And I hope that you all know me well enough to know that I'm really not that egotistical.

So I meet up with friends, feeling good but when I see one of my totally gorgeous and stunning friends, this old gut reaction pops up.  That reaction was to automatically self-deprecate and feel less than pleased with myself.  Boo!  I do not like this.  But the thing is (and thank god for this), it was a fleeting moment.  I very quickly went right back to thinking that I also looked damn good and I truly 100% believed it.  If I was a guy, I would have totally hit on both of us.  :-)

I guess the point I want to make is how important it is to feel confident in yourself, no comparing yourself to other people.  Everyone's got their flaws but you gotta either roll with them or try your best to fix them and realize that you're kind of a kick-ass person despite those moments of insecurity.  As someone who has had her fair share of insecure moments, I will say that there is no better feeling than being proud of who you are and knowing that you can rock whatever you want to rock, whether it's a dress or an attitude.

I have just one caveat and that is to keep in mind the difference between confidence and cockiness.  Confidence is sexy.  Cockiness is annoying.  No one likes to be around someone who thinks that they are the world's gift to the rest of us or around someone who thinks they are better than the rest of us schmucks.  So go ahead and tell yourself how B.A. you are but don't start looking down on everyone else while you do it.  That's not B.A. at all.

P.S.  I think you are all bad-ass in one way or another.

P.P.S.  This post was really hard for me to right for some reason so hopefully the whole general idea is coming across correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment