Monday, January 2, 2012

Hello 2012!

So 2011 was a pretty kick-ass year, if I do say so myself.  I intend to make 2012 just as great.  I gained a lot of self-confidence through what I was able to accomplish in the past year and that made me really excited to set new goals for this year.  I feel like I really can do whatever I want to do.

I don't like to say these are "resolutions" because that term feels negative to me.  So many people make crazy resolutions that are forgotten about within weeks.  Goals are solid, tangible things that I can go after.  I fully admit that I might be biting off more than I can chew with some of these but it's important for me to set lofty goals, otherwise I settle and don't challenge myself as much as I should.  I'd rather aim high and miss than aim low and make it.

So without further ado, here are some of the things I want to accomplish this year, in no particular order:

Fitness:

  • Get to my final healthy weight, whatever that ends up being.  I hope to have this checked off by April-ish.  After that, it's continuing to maintain and tone and build muscle.
  • Do 10 real push-ups... not "girl" push-ups (although I kinda hate that term).  In fact, my cat likes to jump on my back while I'm doing planks at home, so let's change it to 10 push-ups with a 21 pound cat on my back.  I'm shooting for being able to do the push-ups by the end of summer and the push-ups with the small panther by the end of the year.
  • Run more.  I want to complete a 10k for sure.  I'm toying with the idea of training for a half marathon but I'm definitely intimidated by the idea.  But I want to do it so it's going on the list.
  • Do one new physical activity each month, something I've never tried before.  I need some suggestions though.  So far, on my list is rock climbing/dangling from a rope and Zumba/shaking my bonbon.  Ideas please!  I want to do some really fun and different things.
Career:
  • Work in a role that I am passionate about.  I don't care if it's a one-day a month gig or a part-time thing on the weekends or a full-time job.  There are things that I love about my current job but I wouldn't say it's my passion.
  • Obtain Personal Training Certification.  I want to help whip the masses into shape!  I want to change lives the way mine has been changed more than anything in the world.  I want people to know how good it feels when you give your body (and mind and spirit) what it deserves.
  • I'm not sure if this should go under fitness or under career but I want to start an email list or newsletter-type thing for friends and family that ask me for fitness and/or nutrition advice.  I am not a professional but I have learned a lot and I'm happy to share my experiences with people that are interested.  I'm imagining each email would include a nutrition tip or recipe as well as a "Workout of the Week."  I'm also toying with the idea of organizing a group workout once a month.  Anyone interested?
  • Increase my blog readership numbers.  I'm putting this under career b/c it doesn't really fit anywhere else.  Since I am now at $.60 earned in the past 6 months, technically, I am making moolah.  But that's not the point.  Mostly, I just want more people to read the blog b/c I really enjoy writing it and I think sometimes, it makes people laugh or feel inspired and those are good things.  Also, maybe one of the new readers can be a book editor and can get me a book deal.  I'm not sure how I would fill a couple hundred pages but I would like to see my gorgeous face on the jacket of a book in Barnes and Noble one day.
Social:
  • Spend more time with people I love.  I get so busy with everything that I don't see enough of my friends and I hate that, so this is a huge priority.  I have the best family and friends and I demand more time to spend with them.
  • Meet new people.  There are so many awesome people in this world.  I want to make them my friends.  That sounds weird.  I probably won't use this as my opening line when meeting these potential friends.  I think the best way to meet new people will be to join some clubs or something.  Do adults do that?  I'm thinking like a book club.  And maybe a sports team?  Are you guys in any clubs?  Do any of you guys know any cool people that I need to meet?
  • Experience new things.  I'm not saying that every day has to be full of the coolest activities in the world, but I want to do things that sound fun and random.  For instance, I've just found out that Llewellyn's has Trivia on Sunday nights.  I want to do this.  I'm not actually good at trivia, per se, but I am good at confirming correct answers when someone else says them as though I knew the answer all along.  Or like, a couple years ago, a friend and I took classes to learn the Thriller dance and then performed the dance with a bajillion other people around the world to break a world record for most people doing the Thriller dance at one time.  Or skydiving!  Who wants to jump out of a plane with me?
This list is getting super long.  I'm a little exhausted by it and I'm pretty sure this isn't even everything.  But like I said, aim high!

Peas and Love Folks!
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment