Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas Carols

I adore Christmas.  Between now and December 25th, you may read quite a few blogs dedicated to my love of this holiday.  Fair warning.  One of my favorite parts of Christmas though is the music.  I am a freak about listening to Christmas music.  I usually try to wait till the day after Thanksgiving to start my yearly musical obsession but this year I couldn't wait.  I probably lasted till mid-November and then it was all-Christmas, all the time.  So let's dish about the musical delights and some of the musical disasters that we call Christmas Carols.

LOVE:

  • All I Want for Christmas.  I love this song, in particular, the classic version by Mariah Carey.  This is an excellent one to sing along with in the car because I like to pretend that I am Mariah Carey and can therefore sing like Mariah Carey.  I'm pretty sure I'm her voice double.
  • Christmas/Sarajevo 12/24 by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.  This song is awesome because my sister and I play air-instruments throughout the entire 3 minutes and 25 seconds of music.  Guitar, keyboard, more guitar... you name it and we play it.  One time, it came on while we were in the car together at a stop light so of course, we started playing.  We looked at the car next to us after a full 30 seconds of air-guitar and keyboard playing and the passengers were laughing and smiling.  I think they even clapped.  I'm pretty sure they enjoyed the free concert.  And Bil and I certainly enjoyed providing the free entertainment.  
  • Another Christmas Song by Stephen Colbert.  HILARIOUS.  Any song with lyrics like "Hear the baby Jesus cry HO! HO! HO!" and "Who'd have thought the wise men looked so white" obviously belongs on my favorites list.
  • Music from Charlie Brown Christmas.  This is on my love list partially because the music is good but mostly because I've stolen all of the characters' sweet dance moves.  When I do these moves at the clubs, dance circles form around me.  Thank you Charlie Brown kids.  I'm like a Fly Girl now (90s In Living Color reference alert!).

Dislike:
  • The 12 Days of Christmas.  This song is soooo long and repetitive and awful.  I get it... your true love has weird taste in gifts.  Quit singing about it already.  What's the deal with all the birds?  And giving people as gifts (leaping lords, dancing ladies,etc.) rings a little too close to slave trading if you ask me.
  • Let It Snow by Gloria Estefan.  I absolutely can not stand this version of this song.  It practically makes my ears bleed, no offense to Ms. Estefan.  It just really rubs me the wrong way.  The worst part is that towards the end, it sounds like it's winding down and you think that you are almost out of the musical horror show but then a guy pipes up and says "One more time!" and it starts all over again.  NOOOOO!  No more times!
  • Grandmas Got Run Over by a Reindeer.  No.  Just no.  Grandmas deserve better than this.
  • I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.  When I was little, I did not understand that Dad was "Santa Claus" in this song.  I really thought that Mom was cheating on Dad.  I couldn't understand why the kid thought that this was a laughing matter.  What a jerk!  I was horrified.  And poor Mrs. Claus!  She's just sitting at home, waiting for her chunky husband, probably baking him more cookies and taking care of his elves, while he's out "delivering presents"to the moms of the world.  

Peas and Love my blog-reading Elves!

Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment